Thursday, May 30, 2013

10 Books Update: The Perks of Being a Wallflower


"Charlie's not the biggest geek in high school, but he is by no means popular.  Shy, introspective, intelligent, yet socially awkward, Charlie is a wallflower, standing on the threshold of his life whilst watching everyone live theirs.  As Charlie tries to navigate his way through uncharted territory - the worl of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends - he realises that he can't stay on the sidelines forever.  There comes a time when you have to see what life looks like from the dance floor."
From the Back Cover

I can't even explain to you guys how much I loved this book.  Charlie is so relatable!  I was socially awkward for most of my school career and again at varsity when I suddenly found myself in the uncomfortable position of having to make new friends.  This book made me smile, it made me wish I was younger, it made me wish for one of those epic nights out where it feels like everything is exactly as it should be.  Most of all it was an amazing breath of fresh air after all the heavy postcolonial/postmodern/immigrant writing I have been reading for the last month!  My favourite quotes  are:

“So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.” 

“And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.” 

“And all the books you've read have been read by other people. And all the songs you've loved have been heard by other people. And that girl that's pretty to you is pretty to other people. and that if you looked at these facts when you were happy, you would feel great because you are describing 'unity.”

I wanted to start reading it again almost as soon as I finished.  Most of all, it reminded me that there is nothing wrong with being the quiet one, the awkward one, the wallflower.  As long as you also remember to participate.  Have you read the book?  Or even watched the movie?  What did you think?

2 comments: