Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Looking Back, Moving Forward

2013 was an interesting year for me.  I decided that suddenly, I needed to do ALL OF THE THINGS.  I don’t know if it was because I was subconsciously stressing about turning 30 or if it was because I suddenly had to opportunity to do these things but I definitely bit off more than I could chew.  That said, it was still a pretty good year and a year where I learnt a lot about what I am capable of and a lot about priorities…even if I mostly got them wrong.  Here’s a little look back at what 2013 bought me:


  • I saw Rise Against live in Durban which, considering Durban's track record with bands, was pretty freaking awesome!
  • I was maid of honour at my best friend's wedding (first time I've ever been involved in a wedding...thanks chicken).
  • I started my Honours in English and managed to finish top of my class both semesters.
  • I watched Jason's band, Dirty Royal, play the main stage at Splashy.
  • I started roller derby and skated in my first bout.
  • I turned 30 and realised I have an amazing husband and family, super cool friends and so much to be grateful for.
  • I FINALLY got my French passport (even if I did only pick it up this year).
  • I started learning French so that when we go and visit my folks in France we can find our way around.
  • And I met some awesome new people, found some really special new friendships and just generally had a lot of fun.

I don't mean to sound self-congratulatory or anything but I am really proud of what I accomplished because so often I was pushing myself way out of my comfort zone *ahem derby, meeting new people*  When you are a naturally shy/awkward person, that's a biggie.  I am not sure what 2014 has in store for us just yet but I have a good feeling about this year.  I don't usually make resolutions or that kind of thing but here are a few things I want to keep in mind:

  • Write more.  Not just here on my blog but everywhere and about everything.
  • Stop letting other's peoples sub-par behaviour determine my mood or affect the way that I live my life.
  • stop procrastinating so much.  Seriously, it took me TWO DAYS to sit down and write this post.  Enough already.

I hope by not calling them goals or resolutions my lazy brain won't try and find a way to avoid them.  Self-deception or something like that:)

No comments:

Post a Comment