Sunday, November 11, 2012

Robben Island

Maybe, as a white South African, its a little cliche to say this but Nelson Mandela is kind of like my hero.  He spent 27 years imprisoned on Robben Island by the apartheid government and, when he was eventually released, his focus was on reconciliation and nation building rather than revenge and hate.  That's something to aspire to if you ask me!
For those of you who don't know, Robben Island is the prison that the apartheid government used to house political prisoners (including Nelson Mandela).  It's a world heritage site now and its such a significant part of South African history that I really think everyone needs to go and take a look.
Anyway, my mom was in Cape Town recently and she was lucky enough to take the Robben Island tour.  I was suitably jealous until she bought me an awesome souvenir and offered to let me share her pics on here....thanks my mother!

V&A Waterfront - Where the tour departs


Nelson Mandela's cell - that was literally all they had


Not actually a person using the bathroom

Even the menu's were segregated!


The souvenir...a replica prison key!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad I had this opportunity to visit Robben Island. It was quite emotional and had more than one person fighting back the tears!
    Definitely a place to visit if you can

    ReplyDelete