Friday, February 8, 2013

This Ladder is Ours...New Music #3


So many new things to listen to!!  Here are some of my new favourites:

The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Laws

Yet another band with a female vocalist.  What's going on here??  The Joy Formidable are a three-piece alternative band from Wales that  I've fallen in love with.  I'm not sure how to describe their sound expect to say that they are totally worth listening to.  Be warned though, these guys are not shy of long songs.  Most of the tracks on the album are around 4 to 5 minutes long.  Not that I'm complaining.  My favourite track is a toss up between This Ladder is Ours and The Leopard & The Lung.   


Benjamin Gibbard - Former Lives

Ben Gibbard is the vocalist from Death Cab For Cutie.  We caught an interview with him on The Cobert Report and he played Bigger Than Love which features Aimee Mann.  It's by far my favourite song on the album.  Apparently he plays most of the instruments on most of the tracks himself...impressive!  The rest of the album is pretty good...the songs are not that far off from Death Cab for Cutie if you ask me.  Quirky and easy to listen to.


Biffy Clyro - Opposites

The long awaited new Biffy Clyro album, Opposite, is a double album.  The two albums are supposed to be lyrical opposites of each other, hence the name.  One half of the album, The Sand at the Core of Our Bones is about the past.  The other half, The Land at the End of Our Toes is about the future and moving forward.  A lot of people have been really critical about this album and I am not sure why.  Sure it's not Only Revolutions but its awesome in it's own way.  The lyrics are perfectly quirky and there is a good mix of heavy and unusual tracks.  Right now my favourite tracks are Stingin' Bell and Little Hospitals.


Also on my playlist at the moment:  The Distillers, New Order and Union of Knives.  What's are you listening to?

No comments:

Post a Comment