Monday, March 4, 2013

Quilting Meets Movies

On Saturday I went to the KwaZulu Natal Quilters Guild meeting with my mom.   I can’t quilt to save my life but my mom has a stand there and it’s usually a fun morning out.  There are tons of vendors, tea and scones and a quilt exhibition.  During some downtime, I went with my dad to take a look at the exhibition only to find the most amazing display based on Movies and movie directors.  These quilts are all part of a joint project between South African, French and Japanese quilters.  Initiated by Marie-Jose Michel from France, the concept was to create a quilt or a piece of fibre art inspired by or based on the work of a particular director.  The organisers chose five movie directors from each participating country and another 15 directors from around the world.  Here are a few of my favourites:

Hayao Miyazaki

The Pigness in Us All - Kathryn Harmer Fox (South Africa)
This one in particular blew me away.  The photo doesn’t do justice to the level of details and texture in this piece.  Also the likeness is almost exact!

Chihiro's Voyage - Alida Cantereau (France)
This is inspired by my second favourite Miyazaki movie and is pretty much an exact replica of the poster.

Alfred Hitchcock

Birds - Frederique Cretal (France)
I didn't manage to get a good photo of my favourite Hitchcock one but this one is just as good and clearly inspired by Birds.

Alain Resnais

Hiroshima Revisited - Phil Fisher (South Africa)
I watched Hiroshima Mon Amour at varsity in my film class and out of all the movies we watched it still stands out.  I was really glad to see this one included.

Jacques Tati

Mr Hulot's Holiday - Chantel Desrues (France)
This is the man that insprired Mr Bean.

Kaige Chen

Farewell my Concubine - Izumi Takamori (Japan)
I am not familiar with this director at all but I found this one so striking that I had to include it!

I wish this exhibition was up for longer than just Saturday because it was well worth a look and it proves just how much of an art form quilting really is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment