Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Bout Night Awesomeness

Okay, so I finally have some photos from bout night to share...Yay!  For those of you who don't know, I skated in my very first roller derby bout on the 16th of November and it was amazing.  It also happened to be Durban's very first bout which made it a doubly special event to be a part of.

The Pink Ladies before the bout
If you had told me at my first fresh meat practice that I'd be competing seven months later, I would've laughed in your face and then fallen flat on my ass (because that's how unstable I was)!  At that point, I wasn't even sure if roller derby was something I wanted to be a part of yet.  Fast forward to the end of September and my first bootcamp.  I knew that they were picking eight girls to skate in the bout but I was pretty sure I wouldn't be one of them.  I did my best but in the back of my mind I kept thinking "it's okay not to be picked, it's okay not to be picked." Confident right?  You can imagine my surprise when I saw my name on the list the next day!
From the beginning of October, we started skating with the open level girls and we doubled our practice time to make sure we were up to scratch.  The fact we could all skate out there and hold our own with more experienced skaters is the result of tons of hard work and sweat and I am so, so proud!







We didn't win but I think my facial expression in the photo below sums up how I felt about the night in general: 


There is another fresh meat intake in January and, if you are even remotely curious, come and check it out.  You won't regret it!  For more info, give Durban Derby a like on Facebook.

All the photos in this post are courtesy of Jethro Snyders and Almost Famous Photography.  I highly recommend checking out his Facebook page and his full album of derby pics

No comments:

Post a Comment