Tuesday, January 21, 2014

5 Books 2014


In August last year, I gave up on my 10 Books project for the year.  Between primary and secondary readings for varsity, I just didn't have the time to get even half way through my list.  Looking at my course options for this year, I think I might just have the time to read for pleasure this year and not just for work.  So after going from 5 Books to 10 Books, I am now back at 5 although I'm obviously hoping for more!  Instead of just recycling last years list, I thought I would switch it up a bit:

  1. Imaginary Homelands - Salman Rushdie
  2. The Beautiful and The Damned - F. Scott Fitzgerald
  3. The Outsiders - S.E Hinton 
  4. Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and his Years of Pilgrimage - Haruki Murakami
  5. The Circle - Dave Eggers

The English translation of the Murakami novel is only due out in the second half of the year so hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on it before 2014 comes to a close.
Imaginary Homelands isn't a novel but rather a collection of essays that Salman Rushdie wrote while under the fatwa.  He makes plenty of reference to the collection in Joseph Anton so I'm pretty curious about it.  I've already ordered it so I'll keep you all posted (no pun intended).

No comments:

Post a Comment