Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Currently...The Almost 30 Edition


Three more sleeps until I am thirty!!  What better time to do a currently post so one day when I am old and grey I can look back at what I was thinking/doing at the end of my twenties.  Or not.  I am feeling a bit over-dramatic this evening.  Anyway, here's what I am reading, watching and thinking about, plus some photos from the past year...

Reading:  Fables, Fables and more Fables.  I have mentioned before how much I love the Fables series and my awesome friend Clare hooked me up with a huge big pile to catch up on.  I never could've expected a series filled with story book characters to be so compelling and human.  This series has had me in tears, in suspense and laughing out loud.  I've also just read two South African novels for varsity: And They Didn't Die which is set right here in KZN and A Man Who Is Not A Man.  Both are such good reads and if you don't mind slightly uncomfortable subject matter then they are highly recommended!

Listening to:  The National.  A lot.  The other day I sat down and made a playlist of all my favourite songs and I have had it one repeat since then.  So often this band fits my mood perfectly.  Sometimes it even seems to fit the weather perfectly.  Most of my playlist is made up of songs from High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me which is weird because I very ambivalent towards Trouble not too long ago...


Thinking about:  Where I am right now and how lucky I am.  Sometimes I am tempted to compare where I am in my life with where other people are.  Especially people who are the same age as me and drive a better car, go on fancy holidays or just generally appear to be living it up.  Appearances can be deceiving though and I am making a real effort to stop that whole thing.  I am really lucky to be where I am right now.  I have a good job, an amazing husband, friends and family who love and support me and hobbies that make me happy.  What more could I ask for?  Except for a pug of course;)

Enjoying:  Roller Derby!!  I think this has been my staple answer for this part of the Currently posts for the last few months.  It still amazes me that I am finding so much joy in a contact, team sport!!  I even bought a mouth guard the other day...who would've thought?!? One unexpected bonus of roller derby has been meeting so many awesome new people.  Honestly, the girls that I train with are so much fun, so friendly and so welcoming.  Durban's first bout is taking place on the 16th of November and I am so super proud to announce to you guys that I will be skating!!!  Eeek!!  More details as they become available...


Watching:  The Walking Dead/Deadliest Catch.  Honestly, between derby, studying and French lessons I am not watching too much TV.  That said, I ALWAYS have time for these two shows.  Every time I think that The Walking Dead can't upset me more, it does.  So often when the credit's roll I have tears brimming or my jaw is dropped.  The season 4 premier is on Monday in this part of the world and I cannot wait.  Deadliest Catch is so ridiculously good this season...so much drama on so many of the boats and from the previews, so much more to come!!

Loving:  Orange flavoured Aeros, the fact that tomorrow is technically my Friday, birthday present anticipation (I am like a small child about birthday presents), quirky new jewelry, Ghostbusters, the Stinker's cage antics, warmer days and just generally feeling a little more comfortable with myself.

This post is inspired by the ones over at Sometimes Sweet.  You can check out the latest one here.

No comments:

Post a Comment