Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Letting Go...

This is my first more ‘personal’ post on Bye Bye Blackbird and I am trying it on for size.  Feel free to skip to something more interesting;)

“This isn’t giving up, no this is letting go.”

This morning while sitting in traffic, this Rise Against song came up on my shuffle.  These particular lyrics got me thinking because,  like most people at the beginning of a new year, I’ve been taking stock.  I've realized that there is a lot of silliness I've been hanging onto for the last year and a bit: things and relationships that no longer make me happy, crazy expectations and some nagging insecurities.  None of them are helping me and the reality is that I can’t control these things and, in most cases, I can’t change them no matter how hard I try.  
So this year I will be letting go.  Not giving up because that implies that I am settling for less than what I deserve.  Letting go means that I am accepting things for what they are and no longer stressing over what I can’t change.  I don’t expect it to be easy but I am posting this so that when I start overthinking these things (because I will), I can come back here and remind myself that I am not giving up, I am letting go.

Instead I’m going to focus on the people and things that make my heart happy...like my awesome husband and Rolo and Bye Bye Blackbird to name a few. 

It’s quite fitting then that the rest of the chorus of the same song goes like this:

“Out with the old dreams I’ve borrowed, the path I carve from here on out will be my own.”

Personal significance aside, it’s a really cool song.  You can listen to the whole version here.

No comments:

Post a Comment