Sunday, September 9, 2012

Things I Love #16


So, I am typing this edition of Things I Love from a desk!!!!  Usually, I update this blog from the couch, with my laptop awkwardly balanced on my knees or a cushion, while crossing my fingers that I don't accidently dump it on the floor.  Anyway, yesterday we got a desk and a chair!  After rearranging our teeny, tiny lounge we have an awesome new space to work in.  It may seem like a silly thing to get excited about but when I look at how far Jason and I have come (no fridge and only cushions to sit on ) to today (nice flat full of things we couldn't dream of affording before), I can't help but be pleased.  Moving along, here are somethings I loved over the last two weeks:

My squishy-face dog obsession has reached a new high! I found these two awesome bulldog tumblrs during the week; one for French bulldogs and another for English bulldogs.  I swear if we don't get a puppy soon, I might just explode!

Everyone needs an anthem.  This is a pretty awesome article about how powerful music can be.  It got me thinking about what my own anthem might be.  I'll let you know when I decide..

This awesome picture of my very young parents and my grandparents in Paris.  Out of all the sidewalk cafe's they chose the one with English writing!


Stellar Four have created 12 awesome fictional fantastic birthstones.  My traditional birthstone is an Opal which I have always liked but my fictional one is Unobtanium from Avatar which is pretty awesome too!

Tim Tadder makes wigs out of water.  Don't believe me?  Click the link and check them out.  The best part is the first guys facial expression!

These ceramic toy sculptures by Rhonda Gushee are super creepy...in a broken down neglected sort of way.

Check out this tattoo flash with a South African twist by Ninjabreadboy.

And on the subject of tattoos, Contrariwise is a collection of tattoos inspired by literature.

The Phraseology Project is one of the coolest ideas I have seen in awhile.  You submit a word or phrase and they will create it using some pretty amazing typography.

I know this is kind of old news now but here is a great article about why the band Pussy Riot matters.  They may have been sentenced and the news may have moved on but I doubt that is the end of this story.   On a related note, this article about Making Punk a Threat Again is also worth reading.

Pop-up aquariums are a pretty awesome idea if you ask me.  These ones hold up to 5 000 goldfish and were created by Hidetomo Kimura.

source

I love fireworks.  I also love these long exposure pictures of fireworks by David Johnson.

A little while ago I mentioned the prawn sushi salad I had for lunch.  This afternoon I cam across this recipe for a sushi bowl.  Definitely something I would like to try out!


I love this list of literature's greatest closing paragraphs.  The final paragraph of The Great Gatsby has always stood out for me and I am glad it's included here.

The Goths in Graveyards tumblr is pretty cool.  I really enjoy the imagery.

The writer of this article believes that W.H. Auden was the worst famous poet of the 20th century.  I am not sure I agree but it's an interesting read none-the-less.

And finally, I came across David Foster Wallace's commencement speech the other day.  I don't know much about him and I haven't read any of his books but I still found it very inspiring and very relevant. The things he says are definitely things that I need to learn to keep in mind.  

And that's it.  Have you found anything cool you'd like to add?

2 comments:

  1. I've long wanted an English bulldog, but more recently have changed to wanting a Frenchie more. I'd take either, really. They are just the cutest pups ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more! The combination of squishy faces and bat ears just melts my heart:)

      Delete