Tuesday, February 12, 2013

10 Books: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy


So I started this year's book reading project with Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.  I had seen and loved the movie when it first came out but somehow never got around to reading it.  My friend kindly lent me her complete collection and I got stuck right in.

I definitely enjoyed the first book.  It wasn't as much like the movie as I expected but honestly, that fact should never surprise.  I am a little sad I didn't read the book before the movie though, I'd probably have enjoyed both more.  The edition that I read had a lot of commentary on the movie making process and the struggle they had to get the right script and the right people interested.  It's sad that Douglas Adams didn't get to see the end result.  

My favourite quotes are:

"Don't panic." (of course)

“He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” 

“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.” 

Now I must be honest, I tried to read the rest of the series and I found them so hard to get through.  Maybe I was tired, maybe it was just bad timing but I finished them more because I felt I should than because I wanted to.  It doesn't change my opinion on the first book in the slightest but my recommendation would probably be read the first one for sure and for the rest, proceed with caution.  Maybe you will love them.  Have any of you read them?  What did you think?

1 comment: